|6 of 6||<< First||< Previous||Back to gallery|
The "Buffalo Boxcars" were 40 foot steel boxcars used to haul grain to Churchill and Thunder Bay. They were originally built in 1956 as newsprint cars. In 1987-88 they were converted to carry grain under a program financed by the Canadian and Manitoba governments. They carry a Government of Canada flag "trade mark" as well as a Manitoba buffalo (ergo the name Buffalo Boxcar). They carry numbers in the series 445000-446615. Another series, rebuilt in 1987 and already scrapped, carried numbers in the 429000 series.
The final Buffalo Boxcars are being scrapped in late 1996 and 1997. This is 445647 which has been sitting in Edmonton as an equipment storage car since 1995. It was built in May 1956 and rebuilt into a Buffalo Boxcar in Sep 1987. It is marked "THIS CAR NOT TO BE INTERCHANGED — FOR CHURCHILL AND THUNDER BAY GRAIN SERVICE ONLY"